Monday, June 30, 2008

A couple of things that I remembered from Achorage. Brian and I had gone over to see about a room at a B&B that had been recommended by Barb at BArb's Leathers, and while we were standing on the street, a little, black dude walks by and as he walks by he turns to me and says,"I just have to ask...are you on a bike?" "Yes", I say. "Are you actually DRIVING that bike or just RIDIN it?" was his next Q. What the hell?!! I could feel my temper rise and I just about let him have it because he wouldnt ask a guy that, especially a "biker". Right?!JACKASS. He is lucky he was cute. So in my sweetest voice I could muster, controlling my urge to chew him an new one, I replied "Actually, Ive taken that bike on alot of roads most people havent ever been on before and wouldnt consider going on. So I am DRIVING IT!" "Good" he says and walks away after then telling us all about the bike he wants to buy this year. Then we ran into another dude who may have to get his finger amputated because he got blood poisoning in it while working on a fishboat just by getting a couple of pricks from the rope. Then he went into how he used to be a herrion addict and how now he refuses pain meds etc because he doesnt want to get hooked again. He talked to us for about 15 mins about all this and how he became a herroin addict and things about his mom...blah blah blah. We were like.."Where the hell are we?" Oh well, it was pretty entertaining.

Since we left "The Ritz" at Glennallen, we headed to Haines Junction, YK. Such a cute town with fantastic views of the mountains. We met a dude there in the restaurant who had driven up to Prudhoe Bay form California. Guys are always surprised that I am riding my own bike and not sitting on the back of Brian's. Then they ask me how I like my bike because they want their own woman to ride a bike and think mine would be good. It is good dammit!! I love riding it!! This trip has been awsome for riding despite the amount of cloudy, rainy days we've had. The next day we met a group of 3 going to Anchorage while at breakfast. Then we headed to Haines, AK. That road between Haines Junction and HAines, AK was some of the most fantastic scenery and a cool road. But COLD!! up at the summit it was down to 4.5C. I had that heated vest cranked and I was still huddled behind my windshield. Holy Crap! I wanted to stop for alot of pix but my hands were too cold to work. And Brian wasnt going to take his gloves off! By the time we hit the American border crossing it was back up to 14C and sunny. Nice. HAines was a cute little place. It was sooooo windy! why cant we get any kind of NORMAL weather?!! What is it with this country!? We did a walking tour and checked out lots of shops. We had to catch the ferry to Skagway, Ak at 10pm so we had alot of time to kill. The ferry ride over was about an hour and calm and smooth. Thank god!! I knew it had to be better than my last boat ride. It was all good....I didnt need a barf bag. I am still queezy tho and it has been about 4 days since the boat ride from hell.
Skagway is so pretty. A cruise ship hadlanded so the whole town was full of grey hairs. (Thankfully I took care of mine before we left!!) We walked the street looking like a couple of skidooers with all our gear on compared to all the "tourists". I found an artist gallery which had some of the most amazing art in it. This guy buys mammoth ivory and bones, and makes really cool carvings and jewelleryout of it as well as this really cool set of wallrus tusks. They were still attached to the skull bones and he had mounted it onto a beautifull piece of burled wood. WOW, $24,000. it was cool. He had some other really great stuff too...I had to buy a piece of art for myself. I have never seen anything quite like this stuff. Beuatifull craftmanship too. When Brian was done looking and went outside I bought myself a smaller tusk piece. hee hee. Wont he be surprised when it comes in the mail in a couple of weeks?! I just wont tell him how much it costs.....
Well the man is telling me to "hurry up and let's GO!!" we stayed in Watson Lake last night and now we are headed to the Cassiar Hwy to Stewart,BC where it is supposed to be 30C and hot! yay!! some sun!! I might even turn off the vest......

2 comments:

Dave Palmer said...

Brian, Andrea,
Glad you got to see the Haines Jct to Haines road, it's a favorite, even when it's cold! Hope you cross paths with Skanky, he's on a mission to Victoria...
JuneauDave

Andy said...

Hey - lady! Update your website, would ya???

:)